Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Flower Paintings


Poppies in Vase by Pierre Bonnard


Pink Azalea - Chinese Vase by William Merritt Chase

Vase of Flowers by Odilon Redon

Dahlias in Vase by Henri Fantin Latour

So, looking at ceramics has led me to looking at paintings of flowers in vases. These are some of my favorites. I found them on Herbarium. Every Monday our local movie theater shows Big Movies for Little Kids. Littlest Pheasant and I try and go to every one. This week was the loveliest Swedish animated film called Leanna in Monet's Garden. It was about a young girl's experience looking and visiting Monet's garden and art. This little film made my heart ache. You see, art school attempted to stomp out my teenage love for impressionism (I know, I know so cliche, all round). But watching this little character so clearly love Monet's work brought me back to a very special time in my life. It reminded me how painting once completely enthralled my younger self. Painting and all it's forms, techniques, history, politics and theories has always been close to me...it took this little animation to reawaken it. I wish I was a more eloquent writer to express how I felt - other than a melancholia that felt so sweet.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

well, get thyself some paints + canvas and literally reawaken your inner child! don't let those people win and take away something you obviously love. i love the impressionist style and the pink azalea painting is wonderful. the movie sounds equally wonderful.

Joan -BORNAY- said...

Oh my God!!!!!! Dahlias by Henry Fantin!!!!!!!!!! what a dream! I love it!!! very good selection of vases the other day and paintings today! :))
kisses, fàtima

Denise Fasanello said...

Thank you Cindy. You are so right! And I totally agree Fatima - Fantin is superb. It actually reminds me of your work! xoxox

littlebyrd said...

Oh - I think you expressed it just perfectly! These are beautiful and the day sounds like it was wonderful. Thank you so much for coming by and leaving a comment...I am loving it here!